Below I have created the basic meditation instructions including “What to wear and how to sit” and the “Basic steps before starting your meditation”. Follow these instructions before starting your session.
What to wear and how to sit
- Wear something comfortable that doesn’t pressure you anywhere.
- Sit on the floor on a mat with crossed legs.
- It really helps to sit on a cushion to lift up the back part of the body.
- If you are not comfortable on the floor, you can sit on a normal chair,
or on a meditation bench.
The important thing is to keep your spine straight so that you allow the energy to flow.
- Keep your hands on guyan mudra or just keep them on your knees.
- Keep your spine straight while all your muscles are relaxed. Make sure that you have no tense in your shoulders and your neck. The only part in your body that is not relaxed should be your spine. It’s very important here to find the perfect point. Don’t let your body lean too much but you shouldn’t either sit very straight-up because you will create tension. You have to find the point where you are relaxed, yet alert.
- Your head should be looking straight ahead. Allow your chin to tip slightly downwards.
- You can choose to keep your eyes open or closed if there are no further instructions from the specific meditation technique. If you choose to keep your eyes open keep them half-open.
- Always breath in and out from your nose if not something else is being told.
Basic steps before starting your meditation
You should follow these steps like a “start-up” every time you sit down to meditate.
- Sit down on the position that you have chosen.
- Take a few deep breaths and relax.
- Continue with the deep breaths and as you exhale relax all the muscles of your legs. Start with your feet, the lower part of your legs and then your thighs
- Take another deep breath and when you exhale get rid of all the tension in your back, then the shoulders, continuing with your arms and hands.
- Do the same with your neck and face. Be sure there is no tension in the forehead, the eyes, the cheeks and the mouth.